Animal Services

Animal Services

Elk Grove Animal Services and Animal Shelter is committed to providing exceptional service to all of our community members: canine, feline, human and more! We are here to ensure that all animals within our community are treated humanely by way of a variety of services and programs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to license my dog/cat?

Per the City Ordinance all cats and/or dogs shall be licensed. If your pet is lost and is picked up by Animal Control, there is a better chance of you being reunited with your animal.

I am a senior, do you have a senior discount?

Animal owners who are 65-years of age and older qualify for our Senior Discount licensing where they will receive two (2) free animal licenses per household. We require proof of current rabies vaccination, microchip, and proof of spay/neuter. If the animal is not spayed/neutered, then the license fee is $25.00.

Does my indoor cat have to be licensed?

Yes, since cats can accidentally get out, having the cat licensed will provide better odds of reuniting it with the owner.

Do you provide free vaccination?

Animals Services hosts a free Drive Thru Rabies Vaccine Clinic quarterly to Elk Grove residents.

What is required to license my cat/dog?

Provide proof of current rabies vaccine, microchip number, and proof of spay/neuter.

What is provided at the vaccination clinic?

Rabies, Distemper and microchipping and 1-year free animal license for new animals.

My neighbor’s dog is barking all the time, what can I do?

We encourage neighbors to calmly speak with the animal owner and see if they know how much their dog is barking and if they will please try and correct the animal’s behavior. If that does not resolve the problem, then a bark nuisance report may be filed. With the filed report a letter will be mailed to the animal owner advising them of a complaint received. Then a letter will be mailed to the reporting party with (4) bark logs. The R/P is responsible to solicit their neighbors to participate in keeping a bark log for 7-10 days. If the logs are returned to our office within 30-days, the report will be assigned to an Animal Service Officer for further follow up. If the dog is found to be in violation of the nuisance barking ordinance, a citation will be issued to the animal owner.

How do I have my animal microchipped?

EGAS provides a free microchipping service by appointment to citizens of Elk Grove who license their pet. Please contact us to schedule your appointment.

I have feral cats in my neighborhood and they are defecating on my lawn

Animal Services will not come out on feral cats unless they are sick or injured. We recommend using humane deterrents to discourage the cat from visiting your yard, such as spraying the cats with water when they enter your yard, or acquiring a motion activated sprinkler. Animal Services rents cat traps to catch the feral cats and bring them to the shelter to be spayed/neutered and then returned to the neighborhood. Ensuring feral cats are sterilized helps to prevent the population from growing and adding to the nuisance. Cat traps can be rented for $60.00/per cat trap (cash deposit only), which is refunded to you when the trap is returned.

What if I don't want my animal microchipped?

Animal owners will be charged an annual $50.00 exempt microchip fee.

There is a dead cat on the road

Cats and/or dogs are picked up by our Animal Service Officer. Please call our non-emergency EGPD dispatch at (916) 714-5115.

There is a dead racoon/deer on the road

Please call Republic Services (916) 635-2500 and they will come out and pick up the dead animal.

I would like to report a welfare check on an animal

Please call our non-emergency EGPD dispatch at (916) 714-5115 to report and request an Animal Service Officer be dispatched out.

There is a loose dog running around

Please call our non-emergency EGPD dispatch at (916) 714-5115 to report the loose dog when it occurs. An Animal Service Officer will respond.

My neighbor’s dog is constantly pooping on my front yard

When the situation is occurring, please call our non-emergency EGPD dispatch at (916) 714-5115 when it occurs. You will need to provide dispatch with the address where the dog resides to report this incident. An Animal Service Officer will respond to the animal owner’s residence and speak with the animal owner.

I lost my cat/dog

If you have lost your pet please file an online lost animal report on our website. Also, post a picture of your pet, provide the pets name, major cross street where missing from and date last seen and your contact information on and Facebook page: Elk Grove Pets Lost and Found.

Left Content

Sign up for Updates

Sign me up for:
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive communications from: The City of Elk Grove, 8401 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, CA, 95758, US, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
Right Content

Contact Information

City of Elk Grove Animal Shelter  
Animal Services Main Line:
Tuesday through Sunday 12:00pm to 6:00pm
Closed City Holidays
(916) 687-3042
After Hours Non-Emergency Number* (916) 714-5115
Animal Shelter: 9150 Union Park Way Tuesday through Sunday 12:00pm to 6:00pm

*For an animal emergencies, after-hours, weekends, holidays, or requests that require an animal control officer please, call Elk Grove Police Non-emergency number (916) 714-5115.