Business License

Business License

The City of Elk Grove will never email you asking you to confirm account details. If you received an email asking you to verify your business license, delete the email immediately and do not respond.

Apply Online Renew Online

Having current and relevant information about local businesses helps fuel economic development in the city - including the ability to attract more high quality, good paying jobs. This economic growth is good for everyone - existing residents, new residents, and business in general. By gathering information about who's doing business in Elk Grove, the City can improve their approach to planning and public safety. Developing a greater understanding of economic activity allows the planning department to consider new zoning, and helps the police and fire departments address potential issues in advance.

The most effective way for a city to gather information about businesses is through a business license program.

Most new or relocating businesses operating in Elk Grove need to apply for a business license and pay an application fee. The City understands the time constraints that limit so many business owners; therefore, the process is designed to be as simple as possible. Additionally, the business licensing fee has been set at the lowest possible amount, just enough to cover operation of the program.

A business license is issued without verification that the licensee is subject to or exempt from licensing by the state, county, federal, or any other governmental agency.

Frequently Asked Questions

This Frequently Asked Questions information provides background information and guidance on California Legislative Senate Bill (SB) No. 205 and the new requirements adding sections 16000.3 and 16100.3 to the California Business and Professions Code, and section 13383.10 to the California Water Code.

What is SB 205 about?
  1. Under existing law, the State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the California Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Water Boards) prescribe waste discharge requirements for the discharge of stormwater by municipalities and industries in accordance with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program established by the Federal Clean Water Act and the California Water code. The existing law requires regulated municipalities and industries to obtain a stormwater permit.

  2. Senate Bill 205 (2019) requires a person applying for a new or renewed business license to demonstrate enrollment in an NPDES permit, if such a permit is required.

What is the purpose of SB205?

To protect water quality, including the health and safety of drinking water sources statewide, the regulated industry is required to provide proof of enrollment in the NPDES permit program.

When was SB 205 signed into law?

SB 205 was signed into law by Governor Newsom on October 2, 2019.

Where can I find the full text and additional information about the law?

Visit and search Bill Number “SB 205” in the 2019- 2020 legislative session.

What information do I need to provide when applying for a City of Elk Grove Business License?

During the business license or renewal application for an industrial business, you will be required to provide the name(s) and locations of all facilities operated by the business, all corresponding primary Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes, and one of the following for each facility operated by the business.

  1. (1)  Stormwater permit number, known as the Waste Discharger Identification number (WDID), issued for the facility by the State Water Board

  2. (2)  WDID application number issued for the facility by the State Water Board

  3. (3)  Notice of Non-Applicability (NONA) identification number issued for the facility by the State Water Board

  4. (4)  No Exposure Certification (NEC) identification number issued for the facility by the State Water Board

Does SB 205 impact all businesses?

No. Only those businesses with primary SIC codes that are identified in or are applicable to the General NPDES Permit for Storm Water Discharges Associated with Industrial Activities (Excluding Construction Activities), also known as the Stormwater Industrial General Permit or IGP.

What types of businesses have SIC codes that fall under SB 205?
  1. Attachment A of the IGP identifies nine categories of facilities subject to enrollment under the IGP, including the following:

    1. (1)  Feedlots of a specific size (SIC codes 0211-0272): Feedlot SIC codes;

    2. (2)  Manufacturing Facilities (SIC codes 20XX-39XX and 4221-4225);

    3. (3)  Oil and Gas/Mining Facilities (SIC codes 10XX-14XX);

    4. (4)  Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage, or Disposal Facilities (often SIC code 4953);

    5. (5)  Landfills, Land Application Sites, and Open Dumps (SIC code 4953);

    6. (6)  Recycling Facilities (SIC codes 5015 and 5093);

    7. (7)  Steam Electric Power Generating Facilities (specific activities under SIC code 4911);

    8. (8)  Transportation Facilities (SIC codes 40XX through 45XX [except 4221-25] and 5171; and

    9. (9)  Sewage or Wastewater Treatment Works (SIC code 4952)

  2. To access a copy of Attachment A of the IGP, click on the following link: IGP

    Attachment A

  3. The State Water Board maintains an electronic list of regulated SIC codes:

    1. (1)  Alphabetical: Alphabetical list of SIC codes

    2. (2)  Numeric: Numeric list of SIC codes

Is a storm water permit required if a businessis described by one of the above SIC codes but is not conducting a regulated industrial activity under the IGP?
  1. Possibly not. The business may contact the State Water Board or local Regional Water Board. Please see links in Question 6 below.

  2. The facility may qualify for a NONA and would require an electronic application submittal.

Need assistance with finding a SIC code?
  1. Visit: U.S Department of Labor SIC code search, and search by keyword(s) (for example: metal recycling).

  2. The company’s insurance broker should also know the SIC code.

  3. For the electronic list of regulated SIC codes, please see links in Question 3 above.

  4. You may use the following tool to convert NAICS codes to SIC codes, available at NAICS to SIC crosswalk.

  5. Additionally, the United States Environmental Protection Agency’s Industrial Multi- Sector General Storm Water NPDES Permit has an appendix that lists SIC codes and their corresponding NAICS codes found by clicking the following link: USEPA Multi- Sector Permit

Here are additional resources regarding the storm water permit application process:
  1. To apply for a stormwater permit, visit the State Water Board or local Regional Water Board: State and Regional Water Boards map

  2. State Water Board storm water contacts, general inquires:

    1. (1)  Email:

    2. (2)  Toll Free: 1-(866)-563-3107

  3. State and Regional storm water contacts: State and Regional Storm Water Contacts

  4. Types of IGP coverage: IGP Types of Coverages (PDF)

  5. Other resources:

    1. (1)  State Water Resources Control Board Industrial Storm Water Toolbox: IGP T oolbox

    2. (2)  California Storm Water Quality Association (

    3. (3)  Metals Industry Storm Water Group (

Business License Reports

Zoning Check

A simple way for a business owner to quickly identify zoning details for a prospective location for their business.

Open CounterOpenCounter Zoning Check

SB 205 FAQs

Contact Information

Business Licenses
Business License Office (916) 478-2211
Content Rating

Was this content useful?