Recycling & Waste

Server is in the process of being updated. If you are unable to search your address, please contact Republic Services (916) 635-2500 to confirm your garbage pickup day.

Elk Grove Garbage Pickup Schedule

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I dispose of old or expired medications?
  1. Many pharmacies have drop-off bins for unwanted or expired medications. Visit to find the location closest to you.
  2. Over-the-counter medications: drop off free at the Special Waste Collection Center located at 9255 Disposal Lane, Elk Grove. The facility is open Sunday to Wednesday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.
  3. Prescription medications: drop off free in the kiosk located at 8400 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. Closed all City Holidays.
  4. Dispose of all your medications at an annual National Drug Take Back day. These events are sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and are conducted by local police departments. Upcoming drug take-back events will be announced in the City's newsletter, website, and social media.
How can I dispose of old paint, CFLs, pool chemicals, etc.?

Please bring all hazardous waste to the Special Waste Collection Center located at 9255 Disposal Lane, Elk Grove. There is no fee for Sacramento County residents but must provide proof of residency via photo ID, utility bill, or similar. The facility is open Sunday to Wednesday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.

How can I dispose of an old mattress?

Most mattresses and removable futon mattresses are recyclable; please visit to find the closest recycling drop-off location.

View more details on eligible and ineligible products.

Wondering what happens to your mattress after it is dropped off? Check this out! (Spanish)

Where can I turn in my bottles and cans for cash?

The recycling market has changed drastically in the last few years so many recycling centers have closed.  To find a center closest to you, visit CalRecycles website to find a location near you.

How can I report illegal dumping in my neighborhood?

Submit an online request to report illegal dumping.

My cart is broken (or missing). How do I get a replacement cart?

Call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500 to request a new cart.

How do I get rid of large items or large amounts of trash/recycling?

Residents may request up to 3 bulky waste collections per year at no additional charge. Call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500 to schedule a pick-up. Learn more about when to set out your bulky trash for collection and what items are accepted.

How do I use my annual free dump?

Take your items to the Elder Creek Transfer Station located at 8642 Elder Creek Road. At the scale house, please show proof of Elk Grove residency with either your driver's license or a copy of your utility bill. You may dump up to 5 cubic yards, any additional waste may be subject to a fee.

How do I report a missed pickup?

Call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500.

My property is being sold and my home is vacant. How do I stop service?

Service can only be stopped if you are no longer the owner of the property according to Sacramento County Records. If you are still an owner according to County Records and the home is vacant either due to sale or an extended period of absence, you can apply for a service interruption by contacting Republic Services at (916) 635-2500. If you are no longer the owner of the home according to County Records, call Republic Services at the number noted above and they can close your account.

Note: Homes for rent or for sale will not be approved for a Service Interruption.

I just moved to Elk Grove. How do I start new service?

Please call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500.

What can I recycle?

Search for items using our interactive Look Up tool, or view a list of acceptable items on our Services Provided page.

Who can I hire to haul away some trash from my home?
  1. Republic Services provides bulky waste pick-up, by appointment, at your curb up to 3 times per year at no additional charge. Please see our Bulky Waste Pick-up page for more information or call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500 to schedule a bulky waste pick-up.
  2. Clean-up companies may provide clean-up services at residential properties, but they must move the bulky waste to the curb for the service provided by Republic Services described above.
  3. Any one of the Registered Commercial Haulers may provide roll-off dumpster service at both residential and commercial properties. Please see the list of Registered Commercial Haulers for a list of companies authorized to operate in Elk Grove.
Where can I pick up a kitchen countertop pail?

You may pick up a kitchen countertop pail at the Special Waste Collection Sunday-Wednesday 9:00AM-4:00PM.

What items are acceptable to be dropped off at the Special Waste Collection Center?
Can I use the Special Waste Collection Center if I am not an Elk Grove resident?

Residents of Sacramento can dispose of their household hazardous waste and electronics at the Special Waste Collection Center. However, residents of Sacramento County are not allowed to use the Recycling Area, EPS recycling, or the Reuse Room.

How can I apply for my business to be waived from organics recycling?

Please complete the application form in its entirety and give up to 3-5 business days for processing. If you would like an update on the status of your application, please email Omie Hartman.

Can businesses drop off hazardous waste at the Special Waste Collection Center?

Qualifying small businesses can drop off at the Special Waste Collection Center Wednesdays by appointment only. Please call (916) 478-2228 and press 4 to schedule.


Service and Billing Inquiries

Republic Services

Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (except major holidays)

  • Need a cart replacement? 
  • Have a missed pickup?
  • Need to schedule a bulky waste pickup?
  • Service issues?
  • Have questions about your bill?
  • Need to make a payment?
  • Need to temporarily stop your service?
  • Need to start/stop new service?

(916) 635-2500

Left Content
Contact City of Elk Grove Recycling and Waste Division

Recycling and Waste

Email or (916) 478-2228
Please include your name, address and preferred contact method

Residential Service

Brandon Colldeweih

Email or (916) 687-3060

Commercial Service

Brandon Colldeweih

Email or (916) 687-3060

Special Waste Collection Center

Carlos Duque

Email or (916) 627-3229
Right Content

Sign Up for Updates

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive communications from: The City of Elk Grove, 8401 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, CA, 95758, US, You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.
Left Content

Special Waste Collection Center (SWCC)

9255 Disposal Lane
Elk Grove, California 95624
(916) 478-2228 (Option 4, on the call menu)

Learn more about the SWCC

Hours of Operation


Sunday to Wednesday
9:00 am to 4:00 pm

Reuse Room

Sunday to Wednesday
9:00 am to 3:30 pm
Limited to Elk Grove Residents

Small Businesses

Wednesdays, by appointment only. Call (916) 478-2228 and press option 4 on the call menu to schedule an appointment.

The facility is closed on all City Holidays.

Right Content