Right Content

Housing Element

Frequently Asked Questions

When will the affordable housing projects being built right now open and how can I get on their waitlists?

There are currently three affordable housing projects under construction in Elk Grove. The Lyla is expected to be completed in late-2024 and will have 291 affordable units. Poppy Grove is expected to be completed in mid-2025 and will have 384 affordable units. The Pardes 1 is expected to be completed in late-2025 and will have 95 affordable units.

Each of these projects will likely begin their leasing process roughly six months before completion. They may or may not feature a lottery system instead of a first come, first served approach. At the beginning of their leasing processes they will likely have signs outside the sites with phone numbers to call, and you are encouraged to otherwise keep an eye out in the local news and on this website for updates on leasing.

How do I report a homeless encampment?

Always dial 911 if you see an urgent safety concern. Otherwise, call the City’s Homeless Navigation Hotline at (916) 588-0304 to report homeless encampments so that they can be addressed by one of the City’s two Homeless Navigators.

I am behind on rent. Are there any resources available for assistance?

Rental assistance resources in Sacramento County are scarce. Dial 211 for free, confidential, 24/7 social, health, and disaster services information and referrals.

If you are struggling to pay your SMUD or PG&E bills, contact the Elk Grove Food Bank at (916) 685-8453.

How can I get a housing choice voucher (HCV, formerly Section 8)?

The Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) administers the HCV program in Sacramento County. Please visit their Waitlist Portal to learn more.

Where can I find information on affordable housing for rent?

We recommend you visit our Affordable Housing for Rent page and contact the properties for more information on availability. If you would like to take a look at current market rate listings, please visit our Market Rate Housing for Rent page.

What programs are offered for homeowners?

The City offers three programs: Affordable Homeownership, Homebuyer Assistance, and Minor Home Repair.

What role does the City play in addressing homelessness?

The City has two Homeless Services Navigators who connect people who are currently experiencing homelessness to services and housing resources, providing transportation when needed.

The City also has strong partnerships with local nonprofits, including working with a nonprofit to operate the Enhanced Winter Sanctuary. More information can be found on our Homelessness in Elk Grove page.

What role does the City play in housing development?

For a City owned site – When the City owns a site designated for affordable housing, staff will work with the City Council to select a developer, support the administrative process, and provide funds. The City recently signed letters of intent to partner with different developers to build affordable housing on two sites: one in Old Town Elk Grove and another on Bruceville Rd near the border with the City of Sacramento. Further details on these projects, which were discussed in the November 13, 2023 Affordable Housing Committee meeting, can be found on the Affordable Housing Committee page.

For a private housing developmentthe Housing Division will support administrative process as needed. For example, this may include producing Staff Reports for fee deferrals.

Can I port my housing choice voucher (HCV, formerly Section 8) from another county to use it in Elk Grove?

Yes, the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency does port in vouchers from other counties for use in Sacramento County. Please visit their Housing Choice Voucher Program webpage to learn more.

Left Content



Housing Division

Email, (916) 478-2254 or fax (916) 627-4800
Right Content

Sign Up For Updates

Sign me up for:
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive communications from: The City of Elk Grove, 8401 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, CA, 95758, US, http://www.elkgrovecity.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.