The Special Waste Collection Center can accept hazardous waste from businesses that generate less than 1,000 kg or 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste per month excluding universal waste such as e-waste, light bulbs, aerosols, fluorescent tubes, and latex paint. Local Enforcement Agencies require documentation that hazardous waste generated has been managed and disposed of properly.
It is each business owner's responsibility to know the local, state, and federal regulations regarding the storage, disposal, and transportation of hazardous waste.
The following table provides general guidelines on the quantity of waste that can be accepted from businesses. If your business generates more than the totals shown below, it does not qualify as a Small Quantity Generator and will be required to arrange alternate disposal methods for hazardous waste (such as collection from a company licensed to transport hazardous materials).
|Examples including but not limited to:||Total Generated Per Month by each Business||Total Accepted Per Disposal Trip at the SWCC||EPA ID Number Required?|
|Extremely Hazardous Waste||perchloroethylene (used in dry cleaning)||Less than 50 kg or 110 lbs||Less than 50 kg or 110 lbs||Yes|
|Hazardous Waste||Oil Paints, Cleaners, Motor Oils, Pesticides, Herbicides||Less than 1,000 kg or 2,200 lbs||Less than 27 gallons or 220 lbs||Yes|
|Universal Waste||Electronic Devices, Batteries, Compact Fluorescent Lamps, TVs, Aerosol Cans||Less than 5,000 kg or 11,000 lb||Less than 5,000 kg or 11,000 lb||No|
|Latex Paint||Water-based, or Latex Paints||Unlimited||Less than 27 gallons or 220 lbs||No|
Local Enforcement Agencies require documentation that hazardous waste generated has been managed and disposed of properly.
Procedures for Disposing of Hazardous Waste
Apply for an EPA ID Number, if needed
Please see the chart above to determine whether you need an EPA ID Number.
After receiving your EPA ID Number, fill out the Hazardous Waste Disposal Form for Businesses
Submit the completed form by emailing it to the contact info located at the bottom of the form
Our staff will calculate Disposal Fees based on the disposal amounts identified.
Disposal Fees may vary depending upon the actual quantity and types of waste brought for recycling or disposal. Please refer to the current price list by material. Our staff will provide a fee quote prior to your waste disposal appointment to ensure you are aware of the total disposal cost upfront. The Administrative Fee is waived for businesses located in Elk Grove.
Payment options: all major credit cards, checks, and cash are accepted
We will call you to make an appointment
Preparing your waste for safe transport:
- Place the materials upright in your vehicle and brace them so they will not slip or tip over.
- For safety, transport the materials in your vehicle's trunk or truck bed, away from the passenger compartment.
- Materials must be packaged in sturdy, non-leaking containers no larger than 5 gallons.
- If a container does not have its original label, label it if only you are sure of the contents.
- Do not mix products or pour into different containers.
- Small, leaking containers should be placed in resealable plastic bags; one item per bag. Larger containers should be placed in separate, covered, and non-leaking containers for transport.
- Containers can be placed into boxes lined with plastic garbage bags
- Five gallon plastic buckets are available at most hardware stores and make good transport containers.
Note: Business appointments are scheduled before the facility is open to the public. If the gate is closed (before hours), please call (916) 627-3232 to gain access to the facility