COVID-19 City Hall is here for you! While our public buildings are closed, our services and staff are still working. Please email or call us as usual. COVID-19 Updates

Recycling & Waste

COVID-19 Change in service: Republic Services will be eliminating the collection of any material not placed in carts – this includes excess trash bags placed next to carts, bulky waste, used oil and filters, batteries, and sharps containers. These changes will be effective Monday, March 30, 2020 until further notice. After your cart has been serviced, if you have additional waste to dispose, place the additional bags in your cart and call Republic Services to request a collection by calling (916) 635-2500. They will make every effort to collect the additional trash the following day, although it may take up to 2 days due to demand.

Residents can drop off their used oil and filters, batteries, and sharps containers to the Special Waste Collection Center (SWCC) located at 9255 Disposal Lane. The SWCC is open Sunday to Wednesday 9:00am to 4:00pm.

If you have bulky waste to dispose of, Republic Services is allowing all Elk Grove residents to haul a 5 cubic yard limit per load of waste to the Elder Creek Transfer Station (8642 Elder Creek Road) at no additional charge. The Elder Creek Transfer Station is open from 6:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday and 6:00am to 3:00pm on Saturdays. For more information please call (916) 387-8425.

We understand this may create an inconvenience for many of our residents and we offer our sincerest apologies. Thank you for your understanding. Contact: Republic Services (916) 635-2500 or City Staff (916) 627-3339

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How can I dispose of old or expired medications?
  2. How can I dispose of old paint, CFLs, pool chemicals, etc.?
  3. How can I dispose of an old mattress?
  4. Where can I turn in my bottles and cans for cash?
  5. How can I report illegal dumping in my neighborhood?
  6. My cart is broken (or missing). How do I get a replacement cart?
  7. How do I get rid of large items or large amounts of trash/recycling?
  8. How do I use my annual free dump? 
  9. How do I report a missed pickup?
  10. My property is being sold and my home is vacant. How do I stop service?
  11. I just moved to Elk Grove. How do I start new service? 
  12. What can I recycle?
  13. Who can I hire to haul away some trash from my home?

Contact Information

Service and Billing Inquiries

Republic Services

Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (except major holidays)

  • Need a cart replacement?
  • Have a missed pickup?
  • Need to schedule a bulky waste pickup?
  • Service issues?
  • Have questions about your bill?
  • Need to make a payment?
  • Need to temporarily stop your service?
  • Need to start/stop new service?

(916) 635-2500

Contact Recycling and Waste Staff

Residential Service

Zara Carter
Email or (916) 627-3339

Commercial Service

Christian Punsal
Email or (916) 627-3452

Special Waste Collection Center

Carlos Duque
Email or (916) 627-3229

Organics Program

Traci Goularte
Email or (916) 478-2289

Special Waste Collection Center (SWCC)

9255 Disposal Lane
Elk Grove, California 95624
Phone: (916) 627-3232

Learn more about the SWCC

Hours of Operation


Sunday to Wednesday
9:00am to 4:00pm

Reuse Room * Temporarily Closed

Sunday to Wednesday
9:00am to 3:30pm
Limited to Elk Grove Residents

Small Businesses

Wednesdays, by appointment only. Call (916) 627-3232 to schedule an appointment.

The facility is closed on all City Holidays.

© 2020 City of Elk Grove | All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy