Housing Repair and Rehabilitation

Housing Repair and Rehabilitation

Minor Home Repair Program

The Minor Home Repair Program assists homeowners with the repair of health and safety hazards. Homeowners can qualify for a forgivable loan of up to $15,000 for single-family homes or $7,500 for mobile homes. The loan is forgiven over a 10-year period (10% per year) if the homeowner continues to live in the home and meet the terms of the loan agreement.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I qualify?

Your household may qualify if:
• You earn less than 80% of the area median income, adjusted for household size. The 2022 income limit is $60,050 for a one-person household and $85,750 for a four-person household. (Please call for other household sizes or current income information.)
• You own your home, either with or without a mortgage.
• The home is within the incorporated limits of the City of Elk Grove.
• The home has one or more health and safety hazards.
• You have lived in the home for at least one year.
• You can maintain the property in a safe and clean manner for the next 10 years.
• You are current on your mortgage and property tax payments.
• You have homeowner’s insurance.

How do I apply for assistance?

This program is currently at capacity. Please contact the Haimanot Ashenafi, Housing Administrative Analyst at (916)627-3204 to be put on a waiting list.

What repairs are eligible?

There must be an existing health and safety hazard to receive assistance. Common types of repairs include:
• Roof repair or replacement
• Heating and cooling system repair or replacement
• Water heater replacement
• Plumbing repair
• Electrical repair
• Mold or water intrusion remediation
• Accessibility improvements

What repairs are not eligible?

These types of improvements are generally not eligible:
• Landscaping (including tree removal)
• Cosmetic improvements, such as painting or flooring
• Repairs to garages and other non-living spaces
• Routine maintenance
• Appliance repair
• Purchase of appliances or furnishings



Housing Administrative Analyst

Haimanot Ashenafi

Email or (916) 627-3204

Housing Division

Email, (916) 478-2254 or fax (916) 627-4800