Construction and Demolition Recycling

Construction and Demolition Recycling

The 2019 California Green Building Standards Code, also known as "CalGreen," requires contractors to recycle 65% of construction and demolition debris from all new construction projects.

Additionally, for non-residential projects, CalGreen mandates that 100% of trees, stumps, rocks, and associated vegetation and soils resulting primarily from land clearing, be reused or recycled.

More information is available from the California Building Standards Commission.

The City of Elk Grove adopted mandatory construction and demolition debris recycling on July 1, 2010, for all new construction with a project valuation greater than $250,000.00, and all demolition projects.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling Program?

All contractors, subcontractors, and employees are responsible for the proper recycling of construction and demolition (C&D) debris. The following five (5) materials are required to be recycled:

  1. Scrap metal
  2. Inert materials (concrete, asphalt paving, bricks, etc.)
  3. Corrugated cardboard
  4. Wooden pallets
  5. Clean wood waste

Construction projects with a project valuation of more than $250,000.00 and all demolition projects are required to participate in the recycling program.

What does it cost?

All Demolition Projects

Multiply project value by .0004 to determine C&D processing fee
The minimum fee is $40 and the maximum fee is $800

Construction Project with Project Value greater than $200,000

Multiply project value by .0004 to determine C&D processing fee
The minimum fee is $40 and the maximum fee is $800

Construction Project with Project Value equal to or less than $250,000.00

No C&D processing fee or debris recycling requirements
A performance deposit is not required; however, if you are out of compliance, you may be required to place a deposit on your next project. Other probationary measures may also be applied to your subsequent projects if you hire illegal haulers or fail to recycle.

How do I comply?
  1. Complete a Waste Management Plan(WMP) that includes the following:
    • Identify the waste you will be generating on your project. The plan should include recycling and hauling methods
    • Recycling Method. Identify if you will be separating the individual materials into distinct containers or corrals (source-separated), or if you will be combining materials (mixed) into one dumpster for sorting at a Certified C&D Sorting Facility.
    • Hauling Method to be used. Identify if materials will be self hauled or if they will be collected by one of the Registered Commercial Haulers. If hiring one of the Registered Commercial Haulers, identify the hauler.
  2. Maintain and Return a Waste Log(WL). Keep a log of all waste hauling activity in the permit folder on the construction site. A blank Waste Log will be provided with your permit. Return your completed Waste Log within 30 days of issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy or when the project is finalized. Failure to return a completed Waste Log in a timely manner may result in additional steps required when applying for the next building permit.
Who can I hire to haul waste?

Only Registered Commercial Haulers can collect and haul commercial solid waste (including C&D debris) in the City of Elk Grove. View the list of Registered Commercial Haulers.

AAA Services(916) 568-3456
C&C paper Recycling(916) 920-2673
CA Electronic Asset Recovery (CEAR)(916) 388-1777
Cal Bin Rentals(916) 379-7799
International Paper(916) 371-4634
Modern Waste Solutions(916) 399-3676
Recycling Industries(916) 452-3961
Rock Tenn Recycling & Waste Solutions(916) 381-3340
Sacramento Regional Conservation Corps(916) 386-8394
Sims Recycling Solutions(916) 746-7300
Southside Art Center(916) 387-8080
Spencer Building Maintenance(916) 922-1900
Stay Safe Shred & Recycling(916) 640-1300
Who can I hire to sort C&D debris?

Mixed materials must be taken to a Certified C&D Sorting Facility. The facilities on the chart below have been certified by the Sacramento Regional Solid Waste Authority (SWA).

Educate your Employees

All employees and subcontractors must be informed about the Waste Management Plan and how to comply. The permit holder is ultimately responsible for ensuring all debris from the project is properly recycled or disposed.

Where can I take source-separated recyclables for recycling?
Certified C&D Sorting FacilitiesPhone
Florin-Perkins Public Disposal
4201 Florin-Perkins Road, Sacramento
(916) 443-5120
L&D Landfill
8635 Fruitridge Road Sacramento
(916) 737-8640
Sierra Waste
8260 Berry Ave. Sacramento
(916) 388-8320