Elk Grove Garbage Pickup Schedule
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I dispose of old or expired medications?
- Many pharmacies have drop-off bins for unwanted or expired medications. Visit dontrushtoflush.org to find the location closest to you.
- Over-the-counter medications: drop off free at the Special Waste Collection Center located at 9255 Disposal Lane, Elk Grove. The facility is open Sunday to Wednesday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.
- Prescription medications: drop off free in the kiosk located at 8400 Laguna Palms Way, Elk Grove, Monday through Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. Closed all City Holidays.
- Dispose of all your medications at an annual National Drug Take Back day. These events are sponsored by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and are conducted by local police departments. Upcoming drug take-back events will be announced in the City's newsletter, website, and social media.
How can I dispose of old paint, CFLs, pool chemicals, etc.?
Please bring all hazardous waste to the Special Waste Collection Center located at 9255 Disposal Lane, Elk Grove. There is no fee for Sacramento County residents but must provide proof of residency via photo ID, utility bill, or similar. The facility is open Sunday to Wednesday, 9:00am to 4:00pm.
How can I dispose of an old mattress?
Most mattresses and removable futon mattresses are recyclable; please visit byebyemattress.com to find the closest recycling drop-off location.
Where can I turn in my bottles and cans for cash?
The recycling market has changed drastically in the last few years so many recycling centers have closed. To find a center closest to you, visitCalRecycleswebsite to find a location near you.
How can I report illegal dumping in my neighborhood?
Submit an online request to report illegal dumping.
My cart is broken (or missing). How do I get a replacement cart?
Call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500 to request a new cart.
How do I get rid of large items or large amounts of trash/recycling?
How do I use my annual free dump?
Take your items to the Elder Creek Transfer Station located at 8642 Elder Creek Road. At the scale house, please show proof of Elk Grove residency with either your driver's license or a copy of your utility bill. You may dump up to 5 cubic yards, any additional waste may be subject to a fee.
How do I report a missed pickup?
Call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500.
My property is being sold and my home is vacant. How do I stop service?
Service can only be stopped if you are no longer the owner of the property according to Sacramento County Records. If you are still an owner according to County Records and the home is vacant either due to sale or an extended period of absence, you can apply for a service interruption by contacting Republic Services at (916) 635-2500. If you are no longer the owner of the home according to County Records, call Republic Services at the number noted above and they can close your account.
Note: Homes for rent or for sale will not be approved for a Service Interruption.
I just moved to Elk Grove. How do I start new service?
Please call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500.
What can I recycle?
Search for items using our interactive Look Up tool, or view a list of acceptable items on our Services Provided page.
Who can I hire to haul away some trash from my home?
- Republic Services provides bulky waste pick-up, by appointment, at your curb up to 3 times per year at no additional charge. Please see our Bulky Waste Pickup page for more information or call Republic Services at (916) 635-2500 to schedule a bulky waste pick-up.
- Clean-up companies may provide clean-up services at residential properties, but they must move the bulky waste to the curb for the service provided by Republic Services described above.
- Any one of the Registered Commercial Haulers may provide roll-off dumpster service at both residential and commercial properties. Please see the list of Registered Commercial Haulers for a list of companies authorized to operate in Elk Grove.
|Service and Billing Inquiries|
Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm (except major holidays)