About the Program
Community events offer opportunities to celebrate our city, connect with neighbors, encourage visitors, and create special memories with our family and friends. The City Council has adopted anEvent Advertising Signage (EAS) Pilot Programto promote local community events in high traffic areas within the city.
Two signs have been installed at Laguna Boulevard near West Stockton Boulevard and at Big Horn Boulevard at Elk Grove Boulevard.
Each city sign includes five interchangeable advertising sign panels. Advertising space on each panel is limited to the promotion of community events. Signs shall be considered government speech. The City Sign and all associated City property shall remain a non-public forum. Content on the advertising panels shall, at a minimum, comply with the following criteria:
- The Sign Copy shall be suitable for viewing by all ages;
- The Sign Copy shall not contain nudity;
- The Sign Copy shall not contain sexual images;
- The Sign Copy shall not contain depictions of violence;
- The Sign Copy shall not include religious content.
- The Sign Copy shall not contain political or campaign content.
- The Sign Copy shall not depict or reference tobacco or illegal drugs (including marijuana/cannabis).
- The Sign Copy shall not include personal messages (e.g., birthdays, engagements, weddings).
- The Sign Copy shall not contain any obscene, indecent or profane images or language, including, but not limited to, those indecent words that were the subject of the case of F.C.C. v. Pacifica Foundation, 438 U.S. 726 (1978).
- The Community Event advertised on the Sign Copy must take place within five (5) miles of the City limits.
- The Community Event advertised on the Sign Copy must be open to all Elk Grove residents. Nothing herein shall preclude the Advertiser from charging a fee to attend the Community Event.
The City reserves the right to suspend and/or remove Sign Copy at any time, whether it complies with the criteria in these Guidelines or not.
Advertisers may have their advertising displayed up to six weeks prior to the event, but not less than 2 weeks prior to the event date, depending on space availability, and all as approved by the City Manager. Sign Copy for any City-held or sponsored Community Event is exempt from display period restrictions.
Advertising will be removed by the City within seven to nine (7-9) days following the event. Once removed, Applicants shall retrieve their signs from City Hall within ten (10) days of notification of removal. The City may destroy or otherwise dispose of any sign left at City Hall longer than fifteen (15) days after notification of its availability for retrieval without any liability to the City or any other person.
Prospective advertisers must submit an application to the City using the City's online form. The Applicant must be the primary organizer of the Community Event. Applications must be submitted at least six (6) weeks prior to the Community Event.
Upon receipt of a completed application, the City Manager shall grant, conditionally grant, or deny any such application within ten (10) days of the submission of a completed application. Any application not acted upon within fourteen (14) days of submittal shall be deemed denied. The exclusive remedy for any person or entity claiming that the City improperly denied an application for Sign Copy on a City Sign shall be a petition for writ of mandate pursuant to Code of Civil Procedure section 1094.8.
Should there be more applications for Sign Copy than there is space available, priority shall be given to applications as follows:
- First Priority - City of Elk Grove
- Second Priority - Other Public Agencies serving the City (e.g. Elk Grove Unified School District, Cosumnes Community Services District)
- Third Priority - Community Events sponsored by local non-profit entities
- Fourth Priority - Community Events sponsored by local for-profit entities
- Fifth Priority - Community Events sponsored by an entity (public or private) who does not have an office or other physical place of business located in the City.
Approved advertisers shall comply with all applicable laws for conducting the Community Event. Any Applicant issued a permit for Sign Copy on a City Sign shall comply with any insurance requirement of the City, and shall agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the City, its governing body, officers, employees, and agents, from and against any and all actions, claims, demands, losses, damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses, including reasonable attorney's fees and costs, arising out of, or in any way related to the permit for the Sign Copy.
Signage Design Options
In order to keep the signs uniform in appearance and most readable, the City has develop 6 (six) pre-approved design templates to choose from. Design options are limited to these six templates. A proof of the proposed layout will be sent to the Applicant at least five (5) days prior to installation. The proof must be approved by the Applicant before the Sign Copy will be produced or installed. Failure to approve the Sign Copy within three (3) days of it being sent by the City to the Applicant shall be deemed a forfeiture of the Sign Copy application, all subject to re-application.
A set of two (2) identical sign panels is priced at $300 (plus tax) for production, installation, and removal. Sign panels are only available as a set.
Submit an Application
As an ongoing pilot program, applications will be accepted year-round.