Encroachment Permits

Pursuant to Section 12.08 of the Elk Grove Municipal Code, an Encroachment Permit is required any time work affecting the public right-of-way (PROW) is performed. Types of work include, but are not limited to, sidewalk repair, traffic control, utility tie-ins, emergency repairs, exploratory potholing, or excavation.

General Provisions

Encroachment Permit General Provisions are required to be acknowledged and signed for each encroachment permit application submittal, which is part of the encroachment permit applications.

There are 3 types of encroachment permits issued by the City of Elk Grove:

Annual Encroachment Permit (AEP):

Used for emergency repairs only. AEP’s are generally available to municipal utilities and franchise utility companies. The permit is valid from date of issuance through December 31st of each year.

Apply for an Annual Encroachment Permit View Permit Fees

Major Encroachment Permit (EP):

Required for non-emergency work and maintenance activities. EPs expire 90 days from permit issuance

Apply for a Major Encroachment Permit View Permit Fees

Minor Encroachment Permit for Homeowners (MEP):

Required when minor work affecting the public right of way is performed. Types of work include sidewalk repair, driveway and/or culvert installation and repair, pool demolition (required for tracking/monitoring of debris with the City’s right-of-way under the Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan), and tree trimming requiring sidewalk or road closures.

Apply for a Minor Encroachment Permit View Permit Fees

© 2021 City of Elk Grove. All Rights Reserved.