Statewide Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling

The 2016 California Green Building Standards Code, also known as “CALGreen,” requires contractors to recycle 65% of construction and demolition debris from all new construction projects.

Additionally, for non-residential projects, CALGreen mandates that100% of trees, stumps, rocks, and associated vegetation and soils resulting primarily from land clearing, be reused or recycled.

More information is available on the California Building Standards Commission website.

Construction and Demolition Debris Recycling in Elk Grove

The City of Elk Grove adopted mandatory construction and demolition debris recycling on July 1, 2010, for all new construction with a project valuation greater than $250,000.00, and all demolition projects.

Frequently Asked Questions

What Is The Construction And Demolition Debris Recycling Program?

All contractors, subcontractors, and employees are responsible for the proper recycling of construction and demolition (C&D) debris.The following five (5) materials are required to be recycled:

  1. Scrap metal
  2. Inert materials (concrete, asphalt paving, bricks, etc.)
  3. Corrugated cardboard
  4. Wooden pallets
  5. Clean wood waste

Construction projects with a project valuation of more than $250,000.00 and all demolition projects are required to participate in the recycling program.

What Does It Cost?

For projects with a valuation greater than $250,000.00, the fee is 0.04%of the project value (with a maximum fee of $800 for a $2 million project or more). The minimum fee for a demolition project is $40.

All Demolition Projects

Multiply project value by .0004 to determine C&D processing fee

The minimum fee is $40 and the maximum fee is $800

Construction Project with Project Value greater than $200,000

Multiply project value by .0004 to determine C&D processing fee

The minimum fee is $40 and the maximum fee is $800

Construction Project with Project Value equal to or less than $250,000.00

No C&D processing fee or debris recycling requirements

Unlike many other programs around the State, a performance deposit is not required. However, if you are out of compliance, you may be required to place a deposit on your next project. Other probationary measures may also be applied to your subsequent projects if you hire illegal haulers or fail to recycle.

How Do I Comply?
  1. Complete a Waste Management Plan (WMP). Identify the waste you will be generating on your project. The plan should include recycling and hauling methods.
  2. Outline a Recycling Method. Identify if you will be separating the individual materials into distinct containers or corrals (source-separated), or if you will be combining materials (mixed) into one dumpster for sorting at a Certified C&D Sorting Facility.
  3. Outline a Hauling Method. Identify if you will be self-hauling the materials or if you will be hiring one of the Registered Commercial Haulers. If hiring one of the Registered Commercial Haulers, identify the hauler.
  4. Maintain and Return a Waste Log (WL). You must keep a log of all waste hauling activity in the permit folder on your construction site. You will be given a blank Waste Log with your permit. Return your completed Waste Log within 30 days of your Certificate of Occupancy or when your project is finalized. Failure to return your completed Waste Log in a timely manner may result in additional steps when you apply for your next building permit.
Who Can I Hire To Haul Waste?

Only Registered Commercial Haulers can collect and haul commercial solid waste (including C&D debris) in the City of Elk Grove. View the list of Registered Commercial Haulers.

Who Can I Hire To Sort C&D Debris?
Certified C&D Sorting Facilities Phone

Allied Waste /Elder Creek Transfer & Recovery

8642 Elder Creek Rd., Sacramento
(916) 387-8425

Florin-Perkins Public Disposal

4201 Florin-Perkins Rd., Sacramento
(916) 443-5120

L&D Landfill

8635 Fruitridge Rd., Sacramento
(916) 383-9420

Waste Management / K&M Recycle America

3562 Ramona Ave., Sacramento
(916) 452-0142

Mixed materials must be taken to a Certified C&D Sorting Facility.  The facilities on the chart below have been certified by theSacramento Regional Solid Waste Authority (SWA).

Where Can I Take Source-Separated Recyclables For Recycling?

See our online Waste Wizard Tool and search by material type for a list of facilities in the Sacramento Region.

What Are The Basics?

The City of Elk Grove worked closely with the building community to ensure that the C&D Debris Recycling Program is simple and streamlined. It’s as easy as 1-2-3:

  1. Complete a Waste Management Plan (WMP)
    Decide how you are going to manage debris on your job site and how you will satisfy your recycling requirements.
  2. Execute your plan
    Recycle the targeted materials and hire only Registered Commercial Haulers.
  3. Report your results on a Waste Log (WL)
    You will receive a blank Waste Log with your building permit. Maintain it and return the completed form at the end of your project.
Educate Your Employees

You must inform all of your employees and subcontractors about your Waste Management Plan because you are responsible for all of the debris from your project.

Illegal Hauling Means Illegal Dumping

Help us put a stop to illegal dumping by hiring only Registered Commercial Haulers. These companies are bound to monitoring and reporting requirements, mandatory participation in recycling programs, and other conditions to protect public health and safety. They are also obligated to help us meet our State-mandated waste diversion goals. Hiring an illegal hauler will put your building permit in jeopardy. If a clean-up crew or dumpster service offers incredibly cheap rates, this might be why:

Garbage left on the ground

© 2019 City of Elk Grove | All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy