COVID-19 We're open, but City Hall building access is controlled. A face covering is required. Try us online first! COVID-19 Updates

Frequently Asked Questions for Businesses and Employees

For business and employee resources and other information, please visit the regional Coronavirus Rapid Response or call the Rapid Response Business Triage Hotline at 833-391-1919.

For additional information on the City’s overall response to COVID-19 please visit the City’s COVID-19 page.

What programs are available for small businesses through the CARES Act?

The CARES stimulus Act was recently passed by Congress and signed by the President. CARES contains extensive benefits to offset Coronavirus impacts to businesses. View a useful summary of the Act and its business benefits, with links for more information and application materials.

Back to top

What federal and state financial resources are available for small businesses?
  • The California IBank Small Business Loan Guarantee Program provides loans to small business negatively impacted by COVID-19. For more information visit IBank’s Small Business Finance Center.
  • The California Treasurer’s Office’s California Capital Access Program, or CalCAP, offers a small business loan program with special disaster assistance provisions.
  • The U.S. Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program is offering low-interest loans of up to $2 million for both for-profit and non-profit businesses. To apply directly online, visit or contact SBA’s Customer Service Center at: (800) 659-2955 or by email at
  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Coronavirus Food Assistance Program provides financial assistance to producers of agricultural commodities who have been impacted by COVID-19. Apply through the local Farm Service Agency Service Center, located in Elk Grove or call 877-508-8364.
  • The Main Street Lending Program at the U.S. Federal Reserve System supports lending to U.S. small and medium-sized business who were financially affected by COVID-19 and is administered by the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.

Back to top

Is the City of Elk Grove providing financial assistance for impacted businesses or employees?

On April 8, 2020, the City Council approved a resolution to  participate in the Lift Investing COVID-19 Emergency Investment Relief Program. The goal of the Program is to provide local investment and emergency relief funding to businesses in our community directly affected by the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. For more information, visit

Back to top

Can you help me apply for federal or state resources?

At this time, we are providing guidance on what resources may be available to you, but you are responsible for filing any applications that may be required. For more information, please visit the regional Coronavirus Rapid Response website.

Back to top

Should I keep my business open? Who makes that decision?

On March 19, 2020, Sacramento County Public Health officials issued a Public Health Order that requires all individuals to stay at home except to obtain or perform essential services. This order was extended on multiple occasions, with the most recent on May 26, 2020 and will be in effect until it is rescinded or amended by the Health Officer.. The Public Health Order continues to reinforce the direction that all individuals stay home as much as possible and carry on with social distancing protocols while beginning to relax restrictions on lower-risk businesses. Read the latest information.

Back to top

I'm getting evicted or foreclosed upon. What should I do?

The City’s Urgency Interim Ordinance Imposing a Temporary Moratorium on Residential and Commercial Evictions expired on May 31, 2020, however the State Judicial Council (the administrative arm of the courts) enacted emergency rules of court providing further protection for tenants. For more information contact Blaine Corren at (415) 865-7740 or email

View frequently asked questions about evictions and foreclosures related to COVID-19

Back to top

I may need to layoff my employees, or I have been laid off or furloughed. Where can I get help?

Visit the state’s Labor and Workforce Resource Agency website for information on disability and unemployment insurance, paid family leave, and paid sick leave. You may also visit the regional Coronavirus Rapid Response website.

Back to top

I lost my job, where can I apply for a new job?

The state Employment Development Department (EDD) provides a comprehensive range of employment and training services in partnership with state and local agencies and organizations, and has instituted special programs in response to COVID-19. Visit EDD website.

In addition, companies such as Safeway, Raley's, Walmart, and Amazon have announced the need for large numbers of new employees amid the COVID-19 outbreak. We encourage you to search for jobs directly at those company’s and others hiring websites.

Back to top

Can I file an insurance claim for losses due to COVID-19?

Review your insurance policies and contact your insurance company or agent to discuss what options may be available to you. Each situation is unique and the claims process will vary depending on your business and your insurance policy. Inform your insurance company that the City of Elk Grove adopted a Local Emergency Proclamation on March 13, 2020. For more information visit the California Department of Insurance website and review their COVID-19 response programs.

Back to top

What should I be doing to protect my employees from COVID-19?

The California Department of Industrial Relations has extensive guidance on this topic.

Back to top

I have concerns that my employer is not taking appropriate safety measures or other workplace steps to protect me from COVID 19. Who should I contact?

Please contact the Sacramento County Public Health Department at 2-1-1 or (800) 500-4931 or (916) 498-1000, or visit their website. You can also contact the state Employment Development Department (EDD) by visiting their website.

Back to top

How will the City help me protect my store or property if needed?

In an emergency situation, dial 9-1-1. For other inquiries regarding safety and security please call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at (916) 714-5115.

Back to top

Will my utilities be shut off if I don't pay my bills?


Since March, SMUD has suspended power shutoffs for non-payment and late fees, as well as adjusting its low-income rate so more people can qualify. SMUD is also offering flexible payment arrangement options. This action will remain in effect through January 4, 2021. Read the news release.


PG&E has voluntarily implemented a moratorium on service disconnections for non-payment for both residential and commercial customers, effective immediately and until further notice.

To learn about how the California Public Utility Commission is helping to support communities affected by COVID-19 visit

Elk Grove Water District

  • No shut offs for non-payment
  • Waiving late payment penalties, door tag fees, over the phone payment fees
  • Providing flexible payment options

Learn more at

Back to top

Is this Health Order mandatory or is it just guidance?

This Order is mandatory, and all persons, businesses, and other entities are required to comply if they do not fall within the exemptions that are specified in the Order.

Back to top

Am I allowed to leave my home while this Order is in effect?

The intent of this Order is to ensure that people remain in their residences and minimize social interactions outside of their immediate family unit. However, you may leave your residence for reasons specified in the Order. These reasons include ensuring the health and safety of yourself and your family, engaging in outdoor activity that does not involve close contact with other people, obtaining services and supplies for yourself and your family, and to perform employment functions that are permissible under the Order.

Back to top

I operate a food facility-- what practices should I follow to keep my patrons safe?

Follow the best practices for allowable food facility operations. The National Restaurant Association has a great resource page. Consult the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department’s website for additional up to date information.

Back to top

Does this Order require that I shut down my business facility?

The Order identifies an extensive list of “essential businesses” that may continue to serve the public in person during the term of this Order. The Order allows non-essential businesses to maintain what the Order defines as “minimum basic operations,” which are the operations necessary to maintain the value of the business’s inventory, to provide for the business’s security, and to ensure that employees can effectively work from home.

Back to top

What happens if I leave Sacramento County to go on a planned vacation?

The Order requires that you shelter in your place of residence. If you leave Sacramento County for vacation or another reason, that is not an essential purpose exempt under the Order, then you may not be permitted to return to your residence. Traveling runs the risk of spreading the virus to other areas and exposing new populations.

Back to top

Is my business exempt or non-exempt from the Public Health Officer Order?

To get further guidance on whether your business is exempt or non-exempt from the Public Health Officer Order:

  • Step 1: If you have not already, please take a look at page 5 of the Public Health Order and this FAQ to see if your business is listed as an essential business.
  • Step 2: If you do not have clarity after reading the FAQ, go ahead and call 916-875-2002.
  • Step 3: Our Health Services Team will connect back with you shortly.

Back to top

How do I report a violation of the Public Health Officer Order?

To report a violation of the Public Health Officer Order call 311.

Back to top

© 2020 City of Elk Grove | All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy