Before you consider surrendering to us:
- Post a photo and bio of your pet on your social media channels.
- Talk to your friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or other social networks about your pet.
- Contact a breed-specific rescue if your pet meets the criteria.
- Create a pet profile on Rehome , a free tool design to help pets find new homes without having to spend time in a shelter.
- Before surrendering your pet, visit KeepYourPet.com . It is a go-to resource for information on services available throughout the Sacramento region that can help you keep your pet as an important member of your family
What can be done to increase my pet's chance for adoption if I must surrender it to the Elk Grove Animal Shelter?
- Please ensure that your pet is vaccinated for common diseases at least a week before entry into our Shelter.
- This will ensure the pet will stay healthy and be available for adoption immediately. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to an appointment being set.
- Make sure your pet is socialized and trained.? The pet should accept handling, petting, and walking on leash with unfamiliar people.
- Give us as much information as possible about the pet on the owner surrender application.
- Have the pet spayed or neutered before surrender.? This significantly lessens the expenses to house and adopt out the pet.? It also ensures that, once adopted, the pet can go home with its new owner immediately. (not mandatory for intake)
- Volunteer.? Come visit your pet or other pets that need to be re-homed.? You can help keep the animals from getting depressed and ill while they are waiting for new homes.
- Promote the Elk Grove Animal Shelter to everyone you know as a great place to acquire a pet.? Encourage people to adopt rather than breed or buy pets.
How much does it cost to surrender my pet?
- Each domestic animal (four months of age and older) $50
- Domestic animals under the age of four months $65
Why do you charge to take in animals?
Every day a pet waits here for a new home, it costs EGAS resources.? This includes food, labor, cleaning and caring for the pet, and needed medications and vaccines.?If the pet is unaltered or not microchipped, we will have to provide those services prior to the animal being placed up for adoption.
Submit your application online
Applications are approved on a case-by-case basis and only as space/resources allow. Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by a member of our staff. It may take up to 3 business for a staff person to reach out to you with the next steps.