Purchasing a Pet License
The City of Elk Grove requires all persons owning, keeping, harboring, or having custody of any dog or cat over four months old to license their pet (EGMC 8.03.01A). The pet license process can be completed online or by mail.
Gather the following documents before beginning online licensing:
- Your pet’s rabies certificate which covers the term of licensing
- The spay/neuter certificate (if applicable)
- The above documents, or additional paperwork showing your pets microchip number
These can also be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to 9150 Union Park Way Elk Grove CA 95624.
Complete the application and submit necessary documents along with payment.
- The expiration date of the license can not exceed the expiration date of the rabies vaccination. It is important to understand that a 1-year or 3-year license may not last exactly 12 or 36 months. A license expires on the anniversary date of the rabies vaccination.
- Include the microchip number or payment of the microchip exempt fee
- If applying for an altered license, proof of spay/neuter must be attached unless previously verified or listed on the rabies certificate.
- If applying for a free or discounted Senior license, please provide a valid copy of the owner’s drivers license that indicates date of birth and residency in the city of Elk Grove. Senior discounts are limited to 2 pets per household.
- There are limited exceptions for service dogs. Please contact EGAS for more information
- License tags are only issued for new and duplicate
- A duplicate license tag can be requested at the time of licensing. If requesting when licensing is not due, please mail a check/money order for $5 payable to Elk Grove Animal Services at 9150 Union Park Way. Please provide your pet's license number on the check. If you do not know your pet's license number, contact us via email or by phone.
- License fees are nontransferable and not refundable.
License fees are not refundable
|License Type||Fee: 1 Year||Fee: 3 Year|
|Senior Fee: Sprayed/Neutered*||Free||N/A|
|Senior Fee: Unaltered*||$25.00||N/A|
The late fee for a license renewal is $15.00 if paid 60 days after the due date.
The licensing of pets is required by State law and City Ordinance. Pet licensing is an integral component of the statewide rabies control effort. Pets are required to be licensed at the age of four months and provide proof of a rabies vaccination that covers the term of the license. City of Elk Grove requires microchipping or payment of the Microchip exemption fee. Elk Grove Animal Services personnel use the dog license, microchip, and any other owner information to contact the owners of lost animals. Any pet found not to be licensed, rabies vaccinated, or microchipped, can be cited for violation.