Code Enforcement addresses housing issues where the safety of residents, neighbors or the general public may be affected by substandard or unsanitary conditions on a property. This may be more common in rental properties, where the property is not monitored adequately. Some of the violations this program addresses are:
- Lack of required utilities such as gas, electricity or water
- Surfacing sewage/plumbing leaks
- Unsafe electrical wiring, inadequate heating
- Roof leaks and other structural problems
- Interior infestations of rodents, cockroaches, or other disease carrying pests
- Garage conversions into living quarters
After receiving a report of a problem, the property owner is contacted to advise them of the situation and necessary corrections. An inspection is scheduled to ensure compliance and fees may be assessed if the problem is not corrected.