Types of Business Licenses
Licenses are issued to businesses with a physical location within the City limits . The fee for a General Business License is $12 for a two year license. The license is non-transferable. Any change in the information provided may invalidate the business license and requires a new application. Business licenses issued by the City of Elk Grove are for tracking and publication purposes only. Applicants are responsible for complying with all applicable laws and regulations in conducting business in the City of Elk Grove.
Running a business from home is an attractive idea to many people, but it is important for home business operators to remember that they are conducting a business in a home, which is most likely surrounded by other homes in a residential area. The City places certain restrictions on the operation of home businesses to protect the residential nature of the neighborhood and prevent nuisance complaints regarding noise, dust, and traffic. These rules protect you and your neighborhood. Please see zoning code ordinance for home business.
Certain types of businesses are required to have more than one license. Usually the second license is a Special License. The Special License is issued based on a character review of the owner of certain types of businesses. The license is approved by the Police Department and fingerprinting of owner is required. The fee for a Special License is $125 and is an annual license. The one time fingerprinting fee is $44. This license may take up to 90 days to be approved.
There are certain types of enterprises which require special investigation, review and regulation in order to ensure that the public health, safety and welfare is adequately protected. Below is a list of the businesses that are required to get a Special License.
- Antique Dealers-in firearms, jewelry, art objects, furniture or other valuables
- Automobile Dismantlers-and marketers of used parts for automobiles
- Mobile Automobile Repairs
- Circuses and Carnivals
- Sales of Concealable Firearms including gunpowder
- Home Repair Services without a State of California License
- Purchase or Sale of Metals including precious and scrap metals.
- Auto Towing
- Repossession or Storage of Automobiles or any other thing of value
- The Operator of Each Booth-flea market, farmer’s market or auction
- Private Security Companies
- Tree Trimmers
- Motorcycle Sales-including new and used parts
- Wrecking Yards-including automobile dismantling
- Dating and Introduction Services
- Swimming Pool Cleaning Services
- Janitorial, Maid or Carpet Cleaning Services
- Pool Halls-one table or more is a pool hall
- Itinerant Food Vendors-mobile food vendors
- Movie and Television Productions-Film Permit
- Dance Clubs, Halls and Public Dances
- Medical Cannabis
- Cardrooms, Bingo Games, Bingo Parlors, Bingo Suppliers
- Pawnbrokers, Secondhand Dealers and Junk Dealers
- Junk Tire Storage
- Tobacco Retailers
- Adult Related Establishments-Bathhouse, Massage, Escort Services
The Employee Permit is based on a character review of the employees of certain types of businesses (taxi drivers, card dealers, ice cream vendors, massage therapists, etc.) Permit is approved by the Police Department. The fee for an Employee Permit is $75 and is an annual license. The one time fingerprinting fee is $44. This permit may take up to 90 days for approval by the Police Department.
Every person who sells, solicits or takes orders for goods, wares, merchandise, books, periodicals, subscriptions, photographs or services from private residence shall pay an annual license fee of $36. There is also a background check with the Department of Justice of $44. Please contact the Business License staff for further information.