Help Us Bring Them Home
With a License and a Microchip
Each year, millions of animals enter shelters all over the United States. Only a small percentage of these animals are fortunate enough to be reunited with their owners. The animals that were able to be reunited with their families were able to because they had some form of identification such as a license, microchip, or both. Sadly, the majority of the animals entering the shelters are unable to be reunited with their families. As a result, these animals are left to sit in either cages or kennels to await their fate. A few of the shelter animals will be adopted, or enter a foster care program or taken to a rescue group, but the rest of the animals will be humanely destroyed because no one came forward to either claim or adopt them.
“Bring Them Home” Campaign
Elk Grove Police Animal Control staff is dedicated to reducing the number of animals entering our shelter through our “Bring Them Home” campaign. Every stray animal that is found will be returned back home, as long as it has a license and microchip and the owner information is current. You can help us achieve our goal by doing the following:
- License your animal with our department, which includes microchipping your animal.
- Maintain a current animal license by renewing your license every time it is due.
- Update your information with our department and the microchip company if you change your address or phone number.
- Spread the word about the benefits and importance of licensing and microchipping to your family, friends, and neighbors.
There are a multitude of benefits included with your animal license, including:
- Reassurance that your animal will be reunited with your family
- Your animal will be safe at home with his/her family.
- He/she will not be placed in a cage or kennel and be exposed to animal related diseases.
- A permanent identification source (microchip) in the event that your animal is ever:
- You will not be subject to pay fees or fines related to an animal being impounded.
- Impound fee
- Boarding fee
- and Vaccination fees